My project for this winter break is to complete interviews with key individuals on my quest for knowledge of all things CMS. The point being, perhaps I'll uncover possibilities for growth and profitability. And oh yeah, that world peace thing.
I've begun my interviewing process and already have learned a great deal. In my meeting with Jane Gordon (one of the founders of CMS in 1980) last week she mentioned the early idea was to have mediation available everywhere in Eugene - in every neighborhood, in business and government. Funny, I have the same idea 30 years later. I seek to understand not what went "wrong" per say, but what's been done, what hasn't been done, and what have the past 30 years taught us?
I've scheduled four additional key interviews before winter term starts on Jan. 9th. Two are big time mediator/attorneys that perform a great deal of for profit mediation in town. Two are EDs of some of the best run CDRCs in the state. I'm expecting to be "wowed".
I've participated in a couple other cool activities with CMS since I wrote last: the annual holiday party and facilitation of an Occupy Eugene gathering during the city council vote on what to do with the camp. In the latter, I didn't actually do any facilitating, but I did do a lot of listening. I know I have much to learn about not only facts and data, but also about people. With my new found interest in social psychology and conflict, I find myself constantly paying attention to how individuals interact in groups. I'm grateful for the wonderful opportunities for learning offered me by CMS.
No comments:
Post a Comment