Wow, what a great learning experience the last 30 days have been! I am continually impressed by the vast amounts of knowledge and experience those in this field bring. And their empathy and compassion for others is inspiring. Have I expressed lately how grateful am I to be part of this program?!
I decided it would be a good idea for me to sit down with folks who have extensive experience in mediation to get a sense of what they've learned and advice for how we can take mediation to the next level. My journey began right here at CMS with our ED Chip Coker, then emerged to include key individuals like Carrie Heltzel, Jane Gordon, Anndy Wiselogle, John Gartland, and Betsy Coddington. My interviews will continue into the coming weeks, but I'll never be able to interview everyone who's made a contribution to the mediation field in Oregon, sadly. (What a great job that would be!)
Each meeting I had was valuable in a unique way. I love exploring other people's perspectives, and this project put me in that driver's seat. From understanding the origins of CMS with Jane Gordon to the differences in types of mediation clients and cases with John Gartland, I enjoyed every minute I spent with each individual.
Although each conversation was unique, I noticed a pattern of potential opportunities emerge. Since this is the focus of my project at CMS, that was great news! Here are some learnings that came out of my interviews that I think are key to understanding how we can best take CMS and mediation to the next level.
What I've learned:
What I've learned:
1. The mediation world is filled with intelligent, passionate individuals with eclectic backgrounds who bring unique perspectives to the field. Those of us in mediation may be seen to be united in the belief that there are numerous ways by which disputes can be resolved, and resolving disputes through mediation is often preferential to litigation.
2. The biggest asset to the mediation field is people! We have the opportunity to not only learn from our colleagues, but also to help individuals in need - what an honor. We should strive to get to know our colleagues better - both paid staff and volunteers. We should seek to identify the strengths of our people and place them in roles where they are inspired and will utilize their skills effectively.
3. Those responsible for providing mediation services vary from city and county government to non-profit businesses to for-profit businesses to lawyer and non-lawyer private practitioners to individuals passionate about finding a better way to resolve conflict (whew!). Additionally, each of these may offer all or some types of mediation, and take all or some types of cases. In short, there seems to be a lack of fluidity within the mediation field. I have a vision that one day mediation centers will exist with a frequency and uniformity like that of Starbucks (a vision I found is shared by a number of my interviewees).
4. Mediation is not well understood by the general public. Access to mediation services is quite limited in many areas. There are numerous challenges to overcoming this obstacle, and it will take time. But I believe it can be done.
One way in which we educate the public about mediation is via a “grass roots” approach where those of us who work in the field are champions for mediation. We should be talking about it at our kids’ soccer games and after church service with our friends and neighbors. This will help spread the word about the existence of mediation and help generate referrals. The transition to a less litigious society starts with the actions of you and me.
5. Building on the grass roots approach, let’s work on professional relationships within the conflict resolution field - government officials, businesses, service clubs, neighborhood associations – the list is endless. We should focus on fostering relationships with key individuals who we may educate to become champions of mediation in their respective jobs. From these relationships will arise the opportunity for additional outreach and training opportunities, as well as individual referrals to mediation services.
6. Money! Like it or not, even non-profit businesses need the green stuff to keep the doors open. Mediation is one of many fields that has struggled to realize their top-tier goals in large part due to lack of funding. Many Community Dispute Resolution Centers are grateful to receive funding from the Oregon Office for Community Dispute Resolution. Additionally, CDRCs may apply for grants and have contracts and fees for services in order to supplement their income. But it doesn’t have to stop there! One reason the typical CDRC budget may be seen to be lean is that we don’t like to ask for money. We have to get better at asking for money! It’s out there, but it’s up to us to seek it out.
Although I could write for pages about the many gems of knowledge gained during my interviews, these six items are a good starting point for transitioning CMS and mediation as a whole to having greater impact in our communities. As I finish up my remaining interviews and transition to the next stages in my project – planning and implementation – I always try to keep the big picture top of mind. This work will help to build a more peaceful world.
No comments:
Post a Comment