On January 17, 2012 Chip invited me to attend a seminar called "Powerful Stories for Community Engagement" put on by the South Willamette Valley Nonprofit Network. During the course of the morning we looked into different ways to communicate to the public the work of our non profit. We explored the various learning styles and had the chance to practice writing a headline that sought to encompass as many of the learning styles as possible. We talked about what makes a well-written story for purposes of a newsletter, blog entry, Facebook post, etc. The facilitator was experienced and well-spoken. I think the message was generally well-received by the 50 or so participants.
As a "for-profit" business owner, I get the sense that my perspective is different than what the director of a non-profit's might be. Throughout the course of this marketing internship, I've heard from several people how non-profits need to think more like for-profits. Although I know the obvious answer to this question, I'm still left wondering, what's the marketing difference? Sales are sales and we all have to make them. The first thing that comes to mind is that if anything it should be easier to ask for money as a non-profit. In my small business, my income is derived from a valuable service I provide. CMS is no different - we provide a valuable service that needs to be marketed and made available so that we can keep the lights on. As far as I know, the power company doesn't care much whether the business using the electricity is for- or non-profit...they have to get paid either way. So my ideas for marketing CMS are really nothing new or special. We just need to get better at talking about the great services we provide the community.
No comments:
Post a Comment