On 1/26/11 I met with Chip and Cheryl Crumbley, manager of our local NPR radio station, KLCC. Cheryl gave us a nice tour of the station and introduced us to some members of the staff. I found Cheryl to be passionate and knowledgeable in her job and it was a pleasure to speak with her.
The media plays an important role in our society and I was interested to learn a little about how they operate and what their priorities are. The main take home was that, according to Cheryl, media outlets are after stories that "new, fresh, first." They want to publish something that people will read (obviously), and also perhaps teach them something they didn't know, or offer a different perspective in a non-threatening manner.
Cheryl thought CMS' story fell in to the category of "new, fresh, first" - that's very encouraging to me and to Chip! CMS is currently undergoing a "reinvention" - a new location, and possibly a new name and/or logo. We are hoping to improve our marketing efforts so that when community members have conflict, they think of CMS first. We are striving to strengthen our relationships with local businesses and non-profits. When the time is right, I hope to work with Chip in putting together a series of press releases for KLCC and other media outlets that will help spread the word about all the great work CMS is doing in our community.
No comments:
Post a Comment